- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 1/2 cup white onion (finely chopped)
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve (4 ounces) crushed saltines
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent (about 5 min).
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, cooled onion, saltine crumbs, cheddar, eggs, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, gently mix the ingredients together until well blended (use a light touch to avoid over-mixing)
- In a 9×13 in or other large baking pan, form the mixture into a roughly 6×9 inch loaf
- Drizzle ketchup down the center of the loaf and brush it over the top to cover.
- Bake until firm, about 1 hour.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving