Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1 14oz package smoked sausage (or smoked turkey sausage) cut into 1/2 in thick slices
- 1 large white onion (1/2 in dice)
- 1 lb new red potatoes (1/2 in dice)
- 4 celery stalks (1/2 in dice)
- 2 carrots, peeled (1/2 in dice)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 32oz boxes chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb kale (remove rib and roughly chop)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook until browned (5-7 min).
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and heat up over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, potatoes, celery and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are slightly softened (about 10 min).
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 min.
- Add the broth, sausage, salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the flavors are combined (about 30 min).
- Stir in the kale and simmer until wilted (about 5 min)
- Ladle into bowls and serve.