Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 lbs chicken breast – shredded (can use a store bought rotisserie chicken or we boil the chicken breasts and then shred the meat)
- 3 32 oz cans of chicken broth
- 1 vine-ripened tomato (cut into 1/2 in dice)
- 1 15.25 oz can corn kernels (drained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno (ribbed, seeded and minced)
- 1 5.4 oz pouch Mexican rice mix (or similar)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 or 2 avocados (diced)
- Crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups cheese (mozzarella or a Mexican mix)
- In a large pot, combine the broth, tomato, corn, onion, jalapeno, salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat and add the shredded chicken.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Stir the rice mix into the soup and add the cumin.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to cook the rice and let the flavors meld.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the cilantro, tortilla chips and cheese